Wednesday, October 28, 2009

WIP 2012 London Olympic Pennant

I've done some more work on my first Olympic Pennant for Quilts 4 London.
I've decided on the binding fabric and I bought some fabric for the backing in town today. The binding is a retro pattern but I think it gives the piece an aboriginal feel. The work as it develops reminds me of the outback after rain. The rain soaks away and evaporates leaving billabongs and chains of ponds in the river and creek beds. I wanted it to have an Australian feel without adding kangas or koalas!


Olympic Pennant - working title 'Chains of Ponds'

I have worked on a small sample of the leftover discharged fabric to see how the fabric paint ponds and french knot wild flora will look. I am quite happy with the resultant sampler and may even bind it as an iddy biddy quilt! (That assumes I finish it of course! I should probably complete it first as I can see I will be quite 'over' french knots by the time the whole pennant is done!) I am using linen thread as with the running stitch detail and am finding the dull finish is a lovely contrast to the lustre of the metallic paint (Pebeo Setacolor Shimmer Electric Blue Opaque)


A Sample of Painted Ponds and French Knot Wild Flora

I went shopping today and bought the loveliest dress for summer! I couldn't wait to wear it as it was full of luscious summery colours and made me feel so happy; so I asked the lovely lady who served me if I could wear it out of the store! A bit cheeky perhaps but she was most obliging.......... luckily I was wearing shoes to match!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

angela recada said...

I love the shimmer of the paint! It does look like water, and you've inspired me to try some French knots. I think the retro fabric looks very aboriginal, too.
:0)
Lovely work!

Red (aka Puddleduck!) said...

Thanks for your comment Angela! The French knots are great fun... I'll be working on this a long time I fear!
Sandi
(left a comment on your wonderful collages!)

Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson said...

Sandi, thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! yuor stitching art is wonderful. I used to know how to make a french knot.... wonder if I still could.

Elizabeth

Red (aka Puddleduck!) said...

Hi Elizabeth! Thank you for stopping by here too... and for your comment. I'm sure it would take you no time at all to relearn the French knot!
Sandi
(I spent some time looking at your gallery yesterday... your work is amazing! It has inspired me to try a small still life collage with some gorgeous rusted papers I made with a friend last week! If it turns out ok I'll blog about it and will be sure to mention/link your website as inspiration!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails