Tuesday, March 10, 2009


Yesterday I bought a dozen or so old ties (hubby donated a few from his wardrobe also – in the name of art!) and I spent a few hours unpicking them last night. Today I made some of them up into an art quilt, thoroughly enjoying playing with colour and texture. I usually at least do a sketch or have some idea of where I’m going but this time I didn’t have any preconceived ideas and I changed direction several times. I used a commercial printed cotton for the border.

I still have some binding to add and although it was intended as a vertical piece I quite like it orientated horizontally! I can see myself doing a series of these......


Intuitive Textile Journeys said...

Hi Sandi,

I'm on a similar wave length with the ties! I was given a large basket of ties and I've gotten as far as thinking I will stabilise them on polydot, maybe do some fancy embroidery stictching and then cut up into blocks and sew back up again perhaps in squares and rectangles. I was looking for a 'quickie' project to do over this weekend - so you've inspired me to do get onto it - thanks

Puddleduck said...

Hi Veronicah!

Thanks for your comment.Yes, I've come to the conclusion that I am going to have to stabalise the tie fabrics after all.

Glad you've been inspired to do something with your tie stash!


Related Posts with Thumbnails